Celebrating 30 years of safety excellence: Back to you
This year, MHCA marks 30 years of providing dedicated safety services and programing to the heavy construction industry.
Since 1989, our industry has driven the development of safety programing in the heavy construction industry, amassing a wealth of experience that has been used by other industries to tailor workplace safety and health services. The program has evolved from providing advice and training to a comprehensive, nationally recognized certification system designed for heavy construction workplaces.
Our success is derived from the fact programming has been developed by industry for industry.
What does 30 years of safety success look like?
- Industry injury rate reduced from 7.5/100 workers in 2000 to 3.6 in 2017
- Average WCB rates for the industry reduced from $3.72 in 2000 to $1.67 in 2018
- Number of COR companies has grown from 40 in 2001 to 340 in 2018 – 75% of our industry’s workforce
Recent milestones of achievement
- 2014: Industry-based COR certification mandatory for government construction projects >$100,000
- 2016: WCB introduces safety certification for other industries based on the COR model
- 2018: Industry’s investment pays off through the new 15% rebate for COR-certified companies
Let’s build on this success as we strive to go from ‘good to great’!